Award Win, New Products for Kolon’s Colorless Polyimide: A Case Study in Targeting the Right Market
Presented during Display Week, the 2018 Display Industry Awards (DIAs) recognize innovative display products, components, and applications that hold the most promise for shaping the future of the global industry. “We commend [Kolon’s] ongoing commitment to innovation and to helping shape the future of display performance and solutions,” said Display Industry Awards Committee Chairman Wei Chen.
Kolon’s Award-Winning Colorless Polyimide Technology
Kolon’s CPI was selected for the Display Component of the Year Award for its remarkable properties:
- Colorless: Unlike other polyimide materials, which are all yellow, Kolon CPI is highly transparent with great clarity.
- Flexible: Kolon CPI films can be folded or rolled, conforming to a new generation of innovative devices.
- Unique surface: The surface is both exceptionally smooth and durable, making it an ideal film substrate.
Not only can Kolon’s flexible CPI replace glass for cover windows, but it can replace all glass components in display devices or substrates for touchscreens and the thin-film transistors used in flat-panel displays.
In addition to its use in displays—such as foldable smart phones—Kolon CPI can be used in:
- Organic light-emitting diodes (OLEDs)
- Liquid crystal displays (LCDs)
- Organic photovoltaics (OPVs)
- Flexible printed circuit boards (FPCBs)
- Electrostatic dissipative coatings (e.g., for fighter jets)
- Electromagnetic interference (EMI) shielding
- Solar sails
- Space antennas
- Fresnel lenses
It’s available in film form and as a varnish for coatable surfaces. More details about Kolon CPI are available here.
Fuentek is proud to have played a part in Kolon’s success in entering the multi-billion-dollar market for smart phone displays. Our initial evaluation of the technology found that the material’s unique properties gave it potential for a range of markets. Our unique approach to market assessment and our expert analysts determined that electronic displays was the area to target. So we gave Kolon our recommendations regarding:
- Key market players to contact
- Trends in core attributes for the material
- The best industry events to engage with decision makers
- How to structure the offer as a combination of sales and licensing
Because Kolon is based in South Korea, the company chose to leverage our U.S. presence, asking us to be a partner in implementing the strategy. (We were happy to oblige!) In the meantime, Kolon continued with its R&D, focusing on achieving a price point and other characteristics that we advised were essential for commercialization success.
Of you would like to learn more about Kolon CPI or how Fuentek can help you achieve commercialization success for your innovations, contact me through our website.
CPI is a trademark of Kolon Industries, Inc.