Operational Excellence for Tech Transfer Offices
Continually maintaining a focus on planning, prioritizing, and executing projects and tasks for your Technology Transfer Office is complex and requires effective integration of numerous interrelated operational processes. These processes ensure that the allocation and engagement of your staff is optimized for your organization. In fact, as a leader and manager for your team, this dimension is your most critical responsibility. We offer the following leadership guidance to position your organization for consistent and optimal performance across your entire team.
- Translate strategy into action plans. Leaders translate the vision, strategy, goals, and objectives into specific actions plans for each staff member to ensure the overall success of the organization.
- Confront reality. Effective leaders have a solid grasp of the real challenges and issues that their organization is facing. They provide guidance for dealing with adversity and opportunities while looking at each challenge and experience as a chance to learn and grow.
- Set high expectations to fully leverage available resources throughout the organization.
Leaders establish challenging, but realistic and attainable, goals for each member of their organization. These individual goals are synergistic with the overall goals and objectives of the institution.
- Inspire the team to succeed. Leaders have an obligation and responsibility to motivate and inspire their subordinates to exceed the goals and expectations for their organization.
- Delivering results with integrity. We have been continually reminded during this past decade of the consequences when leaders do not set an exemplary standard of delivering results with integrity. Leaders have an awesome responsibility to set and maintain an example in each and every action they take.
—By Jack Spain