Optical System and Method for Gas Detection and Monitoring
Developed to detect and quantify slow leaks on a spacecraft, the technology has been designed to be safely used in hazardous and explosive environments. Its fiber optic system allows all electrical components to be located away from potentially dangerous leak sources. The detection sensors are approximately 1″ x 1/2″ x 1/4″, allowing them to be placed in tight spaces.
- Rugged and safe – The technology was designed to be used in hazardous and explosive environments.
- Sensitive – It offers sensor resolution down to 10 mtorr (13 micro-atmospheres).
- Low cost – The technology costs about the same as low-cost electronic leak detection systems.
- High speed – The technology is time accurate down to 10 ns.
- Low power – System power is on the order of 100 mW per detector.
- Miniaturized – System is the size of a deck of cards, detection sensors are approximately 1″ x 1/2″ x 1/4″.
- Versatile – The technology may operate in vacuum and high-pressure environments.
For More Information
If you would like more information about this suite of NASA innovations, please contact: